Thursday, February 07, 2013

Terrestrial radio is losing listeners — and the industry war

I’ve been a loyal listener to terrestrial radio all my life. (That’s the industry term for regular over-the-air broadcasting.)

Many of my best moments with terrestrial radio have taken place in cars. In high school, we drove around in cars listening to Top 40 hits. In college, I caught the tail end of FM radio’s glory years, when DJs bound to no format played whatever caught their free-form stoner fancy.

As a young adult, I was in a long-distance relationship with the woman who became my wife. She was in Colorado, and I was in Minnesota.

I used to make the 1,000-mile drive to Denver straight through in my dad’s pickup. I’d get off the interstate and take the two-lane highways, listening to whatever local radio station I could pick up until its signal faded, then catching the next one. I’d hear the farm reports, whatever music they were playing and a lot of unique local programming.

In recent years, I’ve been a regular listener to sports talk on KFAN, news talk on MPR, local programming on WCCO and 24/7 holiday season music on KOOL 108.


(Source : MINN POST via Alokesh Gupta's blog Radioactivity)

No comments:

Post a Comment