Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Chris Moyles to step down as presenter of BBC Radio 1’s Breakfast Show

Chris Moyles today announced live on air on BBC Radio 1’s Breakfast Show that he is to step down as the show’s presenter.

Commenting on air he said: “So I have an announcement to make, as I said – I have my announcement to make, and I am now going to make my announcement. Thank you very much. And for most of our audience, it’s probably the last thing they want to hear me say. But you know me, I don’t do things by halves - so cue the sad music.

“I started this radio show in the morning back in January 2004 and it was my dream job, the one I wanted since a child – the coveted Radio 1 breakfast show. I know some kids wanted to be a professional footballer or a fireman but not me, I’m a geek. I wanted to be on the radio. I wanted the biggest radio show you can get and eventually, I got it. And for the last eight and half years, I’ve had the best time of my life. And I’ve got to share it with a small group of friends and 8 million strangers, every morning for three and a half hours a day. When I started, I wanted to do the show for 10 years and everyone thought I was nuts and some mornings it didn’t even feel like I was going to make it o 10 o’clock that day, but we always did.

“The weird thing about doing this job is that almost since day one there has always been speculation about how long it would last, rumours that the boss wanted me out, newspaper stories saying I’m going to be fired by the end of the year, printed whispers of my successor and when they would take over. And throughout all of it, the one thing that has remained constant is me and the team coming into work every day, doing the show, making the audience laugh and the bosses at Radio 1 were happy. So I find myself at a time where nobody is looking my way, it’s all gone quiet. There aren’t any rumours about me being fired. It’s like people got bored with making stuff up and distracted by the rain and the Olympics. So I’m going to say it, not the papers or twitter, me. We’re going to leave the breakfast show. We’re not going to go yet, were going to be here next week and the week after that and we’ve got holidays booked in August and we’ll come back after that. I just want to give you a heads up and tell you that we’re going to wrap it up. 

“Radio 1 are going to find someone new to host the show and they’ll put their take on it - Radio 1 can do that when they want to do that but this show is all about me and it’s all about the team and with the hope of sounding over the top and melodramatic I wanted to say thank you to everybody listening to the show for giving the team and me the best time ever. 


(Source : BBC Media Centre)

No comments:

Post a Comment